How to resize images from canva and which format?

I ran my website through Google’s speed assessment tool, and it’s in fair condition. The top suggestion was to change the file type for the images.

I’ve been using images from Canva and saving them as PNG before uploading them to my blog.

Is PNG considered “heavy”? I haven’t found a better option in Canva. Is there a tool to convert PNG to another format?

Also, how can I resize an image in Canva without creating a custom project? Or is there a way to download it as is? I haven’t found that option unless I select a premade template (like for blogs or websites), but then the image doesn’t fit perfectly and gets cut off or leaves white space around it.

1 Like

PNG files are often considered heavy for web use due to their larger file sizes compared to JPEG or WebP, which offer good quality with smaller sizes. To convert PNGs, you can use online tools like TinyPNG, Squoosh, or Convertio. In Canva, you can resize images using the download settings by adjusting the size slider, or by using predefined templates and adjusting the image within the template. For specific dimensions, creating a custom project might be necessary. Additionally, third-party tools like Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, or Pixlr can help with resizing. For optimal web performance, choose the right format (JPEG for photos, WebP for better compression, PNG for transparency), compress images using tools like TinyPNG, and resize them to the exact dimensions needed for display on your website.

1 Like

Also, Canva’s download settings offer a quick way to resize images by adjusting the size slider before saving the file. Using predefined templates can help, though images might need manual adjustments to avoid getting cut off or leaving white space. For precise dimensions, creating a custom project in Canva ensures control over image size and positioning. Third-party tools like Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, or Pixlr are also useful for resizing images post-download. To improve web performance, convert PNGs to JPEG or WebP using tools like TinyPNG, Squoosh, or Convertio, compress images to reduce file size without sacrificing quality, and resize them to match the display dimensions on your website. This approach will enhance load times and overall site efficiency.

1 Like

Canva offers tons of resizing options. Just follow through carefully before downloading your images.
Consider the JPEG format.