Should I pay or get paid from the person I'm collaborating with on my blog?

Hey everyone,

I’m planning to interview some people I know who have really inspiring stories or interesting ideas for my blog. I want to do this to build up my portfolio, improve my writing skills, and gather content for future websites.

However, I’m unsure about the etiquette regarding payment. Should I compensate the people I interview, or should I ask them to contribute because I’ll be using their stories? This question also applies to other forms of media like podcasts, YouTube, and so on.

If anyone has any insights or experiences with this, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I once collaborated with a photographer who offered to take some photos of me, and I think his approach is relevant here and worth sharing.

First, ask if the person you want to interview is willing to participate and how comfortable they are with having their name or face mentioned and being tagged on social media. It’s a nice gesture to treat them to coffee or something similar during the interview.

Make sure to have a release form signed. This ensures that you have the rights to use any media, and it also addresses whether the interviewee can request to have the post or media removed later on. Additionally, clarify if the interviewee can review the final content before it’s published.

2 Likes

Thank you, but does this also apply to various types of media? Like photography, creating videos, writing blog posts, podcasts, and other forms of content?

2 Likes

Sure, I believe it’s wise to always get signed release forms.

1 Like

Do you think it’s appropriate to ask them to contribute to YOUR blog?! That’s something! Haha. Generally, when you interview people, especially if they’re well-known, it’s customary to compensate them. However, a gesture like treating them to coffee and a snack can often go a long way, so consider inviting them to a local coffee shop for the interview. After all, they’re doing you a favor.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I didn’t mean to imply that I expect them to pay for a post. I was curious about the typical practice in these situations because I’m not familiar with it.