What’s the proper citation method for a website in a blog post?

I’m kicking off my own blog and I’ve hit a snag with citing sources. There’s a bunch of mixed info out there. Is it cool if I just drop a link in the text, or do I need to go all out with a full-on MLA or AP style citation?

1 Like

Typically, you can just embed a direct link to the source right in your blog’s text. That’s how most bloggers handle citations.

It is totally fine to drop a link in the text where it fits naturally. For a bit more detail, you can also add a quick mention at the end with the site’s name, the specific page title or article, the URL, and the date you checked it out (if it’s a live or dynamic content). It helps keep things clear and lets your readers know where to go for more info.

Correct citation of sources is essential for maintaining credibility and honoring copyright. For consistency and clarity, stick to the MLA or AP style, making sure your blog stays true to its original intent and honors intellectual property.

Balancing Credibility and Readability in Source Citations:

Full Citations (MLA/APA): These academic styles (Modern Language Association and American Psychological Association) offer strong credibility but can overwhelm casual blog readers.

Links in Text: Directly embedding links is straightforward but lacks clear attribution and might go unnoticed by readers.

Finding a Middle Ground:

To strike a balance, consider these methods:

In-Text Citations with Links:
Integrate the source and author within your text.
Include the publication year in parentheses.
Add the source link at the end of the sentence or as a footnote.
Example: According to a recent study by Author Name(s) (Year), [brief description of finding] (Source Link).

Simplified Bibliography:
Include a “Sources” or “References” section at the end of your blog.
List cited sources in a consistent format with author, title, publication date, and URL.

Additional Tips:

Consistency is Key: Choose one method (in-text citations with links or a simplified bibliography) and maintain it throughout your blog posts.
Prioritize Credibility: Ensure your chosen citation style reflects thorough research and acknowledgment of sources.
Consider Your Audience: Tailor your citation style to match the expectations and preferences of your readership, whether academic or general.