Why do so few lawyers maintain a blog?

I work in marketing for a SaaS (software as a service) company. Recently, I’ve been helping lawyers who work alone or in small firms with their marketing, even though it wasn’t my original plan. Everyone wants to get more people interested in their services, which makes sense. But most people think the only way to do that is by putting out advertisements. It seems like in the legal world, ads that push hard to sell are common, even though other types of ads have moved past that.

I keep suggesting that lawyers start a blog. I’ve seen it work before, where writing about experiences can bring in more potential clients. Plus, you can use that content for things like newsletters and social media posts. People usually like the idea, but it never happens.

I don’t understand why more lawyers don’t share their knowledge through content. You have a lot of valuable information that your clients would find helpful. Why not use that to attract more people to your services?

Lawyers maintain blogs to achieve several objectives:

1. Improve search engine ranking: By regularly publishing high-quality, keyword-optimized content, law firms can enhance their visibility in search engine results, attracting relevant traffic to their websites.

2. Demonstrate legal expertise: Blogging allows lawyers to showcase their knowledge and experience in specific legal areas, helping to establish credibility and trust among prospective clients and peers.

3. Provide value to prospective clients: Law blogs offer valuable information and insights on various legal topics, addressing common questions and concerns of potential clients, thus positioning the firm as a valuable resource.

4. Serve as an alternative to traditional marketing: Content marketing through blogs enables law firms to engage with their audience in a more meaningful and informative manner, building relationships and trust over time.

5. Save time for both parties: By addressing frequently asked questions and providing informative guides, law blogs can streamline communication and save time for both clients and lawyers, improving overall efficiency.

Interesting.

Do you think blogs are more effective for attracting clients in specific areas of law, like family law or intellectual property?

That’s really insightful! It makes a lot of sense for lawyers to maintain blogs for various reasons.

Not only does it help them improve their online visibility and showcase their expertise, but it also provides valuable information to potential clients.

It’s a smart way to connect with people and build trust, while also saving time for both parties involved.

Thanks for sharing

As a lawyer, I can see why blogging might not be at the top of everyone’s to-do list. Between billable hours and keeping up with complex cases, finding the time to write informative articles consistently can be tough. There’s also the concern about maintaining ethical guidelines and avoiding any misleading information, which takes extra care. But honestly, a blog could be a goldmine for attracting new clients who are searching online. By sharing my knowledge and experience, I can build trust and position myself as an expert, all while establishing a strong web presence. Seems like a win-win for both me and potential clients!

Lawyers pretend to be mindful of ethical guidelines around advertising and soliciting clients. Blogging needs to be done in a way that informs, not solicits.

1 Like

it’s really hard to juggle between blogging and lawyer work. Most legal work requires a lot of paperwork and research. At the end of the day, I think they will be exhausted as they have to meet the client’s demands and file a lot of paperwork. So in ideal, I think they lack the time to do so.
I would be mindful of a lawyer who is blogging it just doesn’t give the right impression