Anyone else thinking about starting a music blog?

So, I’ve been thinking about starting a music blog but honestly not sure where to begin… Has anyone here done it? Is it really worth it in 2024? I’ve seen people talk about monetizing through ads and affiliate links, but would love to hear some real experiences.

I started a music blog last year. The hardest part for me was narrowing down the niche. Once you figure that out, it’s way easier to create content. What’s your main music interest?

J.cole2 said:
I started a music blog last year. The hardest part for me was narrowing down the niche. Once you figure that out, it’s way easier to create content. What’s your main music interest?

That’s good to hear. I’m mostly into indie rock and alternative stuff. Do you think there’s enough audience for that?

@Tracy
Yeah, there’s definitely an audience for indie. A lot of people love it, and if you’re passionate about it, it’s a good sign you’ll stick with it. Trust me, that helps.

PaulWritesToday said:
@Tracy
Yeah, there’s definitely an audience for indie. A lot of people love it, and if you’re passionate about it, it’s a good sign you’ll stick with it. Trust me, that helps.

Makes sense. I guess it’s all about connecting with others who share the same music taste. Did you monetize your blog right away, or is that something you start later?

@Tracy
I didn’t monetize mine immediately. First, I built up some content and an audience. Once you have regular readers, monetizing through affiliate links and ads becomes easier. It’s not a quick thing though.

Monetizing a music blog can be a long-term game, but it’s worth it. Affiliate links are one of the easier ways to earn. Just promote things like instruments or music gear, and you get a commission when someone buys.

@Washington
Wait, how exactly do affiliate links work? I’ve heard the term but don’t get how you make money from it.

esleystanley said:
@Washington
Wait, how exactly do affiliate links work? I’ve heard the term but don’t get how you make money from it.

It’s simple. You post a link to a product, and if someone clicks and buys, you get a cut. It’s not huge money at first, but it adds up if you get a lot of clicks.

@Washington
Got it. Seems like it could be a good side hustle once the blog grows.

If you’re just starting, picking the right platform matters. I’d recommend WordPress. It gives you control over your content, which is important. Free platforms like Medium are okay, but they limit how far you can take your blog.

@Stephanie
Yeah, WordPress is the way to go if you want to have full control. Medium’s nice to start with, but if you want to make money or customize things, WordPress is better.

Kabir said:
@Stephanie
Yeah, WordPress is the way to go if you want to have full control. Medium’s nice to start with, but if you want to make money or customize things, WordPress is better.

Exactly. Plus, with WordPress, you can use SEO tools to help your blog grow faster. Free platforms usually don’t offer that.

Do you think it’s necessary to buy a domain right away, or should I wait until I’m more sure this will work?

Will1 said:
Do you think it’s necessary to buy a domain right away, or should I wait until I’m more sure this will work?

I had the same question before starting. Honestly, buying a domain early on makes your blog look more professional. It also helps people remember your site better.

@Tracy
Agreed. It’s a small investment that makes a big difference in the long run. Plus, domain names are pretty affordable, especially when starting out.

Consistency is key. I struggled with posting regularly, but when I stick to a schedule, engagement really picks up. Readers like knowing when to expect new content.

YoungG said:
Consistency is key. I struggled with posting regularly, but when I stick to a schedule, engagement really picks up. Readers like knowing when to expect new content.

Yeah, that’s true. I’ve noticed when I post more often, my blog gets way more views. Hard part is keeping up with life and still finding time to blog, lol.

@esleystanley
Exactly, balancing everything can be tough. But even if you post just once or twice a week, it helps build that audience.