Does anyone here use Bing to get traffic? What’s it like?

Is it the same as trying to optimize for Google, or are there differences? Anyone seeing success with Bing traffic?

It’s not the same as Google, but hey, any traffic is better than no traffic, right?

In my case, Bing traffic is about 5% of what I get from Google. However, it’s a bit more stable and converts better. I don’t do anything special to rank on Bing; it just happens. But Bing isn’t as popular, so there’s less traffic overall.

@zachdin
Interesting! Thanks for the info.

Is it the same as trying to optimize for Google?

Each search engine has its own algorithm, but you don’t have to do anything too different for Bing. My site got hit by a Google update last year, but it still ranks high on Bing. Unfortunately, Bing doesn’t bring in much traffic.

@CommentConnoisseur
Good to know, thanks for sharing!

I use Bing Webmaster Tools to check these:

• Number of indexed URLs
  • Performance stats
  • Backlink comparison with competitors
  • Submitting my XML sitemap

I also check DuckDuckGo traffic just out of curiosity, though Bing and DuckDuckGo don’t bring huge numbers.

@NooserMooker
Cool! Do you know which countries send the most DuckDuckGo traffic?

Google and Bing optimization is similar, but not exactly the same.

Scott said:
Google and Bing optimization is similar, but not exactly the same.

What are the main differences?

I go after every source of traffic I can. You can’t rely on just one!

I’ve had some success with Bing, but the volume is nowhere near Google’s. The process is pretty similar, but Bing rewards exact-match keywords a bit more. I use tools like SEMrush and Ahrefs to track keyword rankings across both engines. That helps me spot any changes easily.

@PostPioneer4
Nice tip, thanks!

I’m curious, does following Bing’s Webmaster Tools advice help with Google rankings too? Their service seems pretty helpful for a free tool.

For some industries, like B2B and government-related businesses, Bing actually has a decent market share.

PostPioneer1 said:

MarkJones said:
For some industries, like B2B and government-related businesses, Bing actually has a decent market share.

Haha, I guess government workers are still using Bing :smiley:

Actually, it’s because Microsoft provides special versions of its software to government agencies, which are required to use Bing for security reasons.

@MarkJones
Ah, that makes a lot more sense than my theory :smiley:

Jony said:
What’s Bing?

You know that sound when you tap metal with something hard? It goes “Bing!” And that’s what you use to find websites, it’s like magic!

PostPioneer1 said:

Jony said:
What’s Bing?

You know that sound when you tap metal with something hard? It goes “Bing!” And that’s what you use to find websites, it’s like magic!

:raised_hands:

Each search engine has its own unique algorithm, and Bing has a couple of challenges:

1. There isn’t a big community discussing how to rank on it.
  2. Its market share is too small for many businesses to focus on it.

But that could change if OpenAI’s SearchGPT, which resembles Bing’s search results, gains popularity. We might all have to start paying more attention to Bing.