Does paying for local SEO directories like Yext even work?

We run a local pool cleaning and repair business. Is paying $1,000 a year for Yext directory services worth it? Last year, we signed up with a company called RevLocal, and it didn’t go well, but after we canceled our contract, we lost a lot of new customers. I’m trying to figure out if it was because we stopped using these directory services or if it’s something else.

Yext isn’t worth it in my opinion. I’d recommend Bright Local. They’re great for submitting to the main data aggregators and getting your info out there to hundreds of sites. Plus, you’ll get login details for each one so you can manage them yourself. No yearly fees either. You could spend maybe $200-$300 once and focus your efforts on Google Business Profile for most of your leads.

@MoffatCousma
What do you mean by focusing 80% of my energy on my Google Business Profile?

Flippa said:
@MoffatCousma
What do you mean by focusing 80% of my energy on my Google Business Profile?

While those directories may help with local rankings, they won’t generate a ton of leads. Most of them are a set-it-and-forget-it kind of deal. Focus on the top 30 directories, but put your main effort into your Google Maps listing. Fully fill it out, regularly post job pictures (your competitors likely aren’t doing this), and get reviews. When you ask customers to leave reviews, steer them toward Google rather than Yelp. If you’re posting on Facebook, post on Google Business too. And maybe look into some contractor sites like Angie’s List.

@MoffatCousma
This advice is solid. Skip Yext and go with Bright Local or hire a local SEO agency. Yext is really only useful for big businesses with multiple locations. Focus on Bright Local, and spend the rest of your time optimizing Google Business.

Spending $1,000 on Yext every year is overkill. Plus, when you stop paying them, they used to pull all your citations, which is crazy. I recommend using advice local. They don’t remove your citations, and you actually get the login info for each one. You could also use Bright Local or Moz Local.

@Scott
They’ve stopped removing citations after cancellations, probably because of all the complaints they got.

@Scott
Yeah, $1,000 is a lot for something that’s basically a subscription. So you think advice local is the way to go? How do they send the login info, through email?

Flippa said:
@Scott
Yeah, $1,000 is a lot for something that’s basically a subscription. So you think advice local is the way to go? How do they send the login info, through email?

I wouldn’t go directly through Yext. I use a reseller and pay about $30 a month for a few months, then cancel. There’s this myth that Yext cancels or messes with your listings, but it’s usually the listing sites that might change stuff, not Yext. Bright Local’s aggregator service or Whitespark can also do the job. You could even sign up for both if you want. To see what’s really important, search for your top keywords and see if directories are on the first page. If they are, it’s worth listing there.

@Scott
Yext doesn’t remove your citations, but once their hold is lifted, those citations can be updated by data brokers. If your business relies on local visibility, you’ll need to see if that $1,000 is giving you a return. It might be worth it if it drives new customers.

I think it’s worth it. You’ve got to make sure your business can be found online. The first step is to make sure all your info is correct and up to date everywhere. I’ve used Yext before, and they have hundreds of direct API connections to search engines. Aggregators don’t give you that kind of control. It’s pricey, but I’d rather be in control of my own business info.

Yes, it helps by getting your business listed in top directories and can improve your ranking on Google Maps and local search results.

EZ Local can handle most local directory submissions for you.

I’d prefer to do it by hand so the listings are permanent or hire a virtual assistant to handle it. If you drop Yext, they could pull your listings. I know a VA who might be able to help with this.

WordWeaver said:
I’d prefer to do it by hand so the listings are permanent or hire a virtual assistant to handle it. If you drop Yext, they could pull your listings. I know a VA who might be able to help with this.

Who’s the VA? Can you send me their details?

@Flippa
I’ll DM you their username.

WordWeaver said:
@Flippa
I’ll DM you their username.

Done.

If you don’t optimize it, nothing will help. Make sure all your business details are filled out, and add everything possible. Also, find other local directories similar to Yelp or Hotfrog.

Have you noticed an increase in spam or sales pitches after adding your business to these directories?

Christine said:
Have you noticed an increase in spam or sales pitches after adding your business to these directories?

Not really, it’s mostly just more business for us :left_speech_bubble: