Having a Hard Time with Local SEO… Can Someone Help?

Hi everyone! I’m new to web development, and I’m building websites for clients using AstroJS. I use Lighthouse to check SEO, and I get a score of 100 most of the time. But for some reason, I can’t seem to get the local SEO part right when people are searching for services in their area.

If I search for the business name, it’s always the first result. But when it comes to keywords related to services, I’m nowhere to be found.

I’m just trying to show up locally, not nationally or globally. Is this too much to ask for? SEO feels like a huge challenge, and I’m still learning. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

You should create a separate page for each service and each service area.

Also, make sure to use service keywords in the URLs of those pages and link them together.

Double-check that every page has a proper title tag with the right keywords.

Use Screaming Frog or a similar tool to find any missing elements.

And don’t forget to update the Google Business Profile with all the services and areas!

@MoffatCousma
Thanks! I already made pages for the services, but I’ll try adding areas next. When you say link all pages together, do you mean like having a list of links to different service/area pages on the main page?

@Mason
Everything they said is right, but don’t forget about authority. SEO is more than just page titles and page speed— you need other sites linking back to you to build credibility.

@Mason
Not exactly. If you’re talking about Service A on an area page, make sure to add a link that points to your Service A page. Do the same when mentioning an area on the service page.

Internal linking within the content helps a lot! You can search for ‘internal linking for SEO’ for more tips.

@Mason
Do your clients have verified Google My Business (GMB) accounts? That’s key for local searches. Then, focus on building the GMB authority.

Local citations (where their business name, address, and phone number appear across the web) are really important too.

Once that’s set, work on getting backlinks. Start with suppliers, partners, or any local sites that might want to link to them.

You can also do some local PR— create some content and reach out to local news outlets for a backlink.

Once you get that authority, your content will get seen more. Keep promoting it so it gets picked up and shared around.

@CharlotteAmelia
Just to be clear, as a web designer, you’re probably doing basic SEO setup, which is the foundation. But real SEO, which involves building authority and relevance, is the hard (and expensive) part. It’s a separate service altogether.

I’ve been using Lighthouse to assess SEO, and I usually get a score of 100.

Good! Now you’ve learned that Google doesn’t really care about page speed as much as it cares about authority and relevance.

Lesson 1: Free of charge.

Lesson 2: Google only cares about authority and relevance.

Go build some authority for your site!

Even with a 100 Lighthouse score, you’ve still got more work to do. Local SEO requires a focus on localized content, like making sure your business’s name, address, and phone number are consistent everywhere.

And don’t forget to ask your clients to get more Google reviews.

Keyword research is also key. I like using tools like Ahrefs or SEMrush, but for local tracking, I prefer SERPtag because it’s cheaper and lets me track keyword performance in specific areas. This way, I can adjust as needed.

Are your clients on Google Business Profile, Bing Places or LinkedIn? It’s important to cover all your bases for local visibility. Also, make sure their service areas are clearly mentioned on their pages.

Ranking first for a business name is great, but it doesn’t always bring customers—it’s like googling your own name.

Local SEO is a bit different from national, and tools don’t always give enough data for the local level. Be careful with general tips you find online—they might not work for your specific case.

If you’re looking for real help from someone experienced, that’s me! I can help guide you through the whole process.

@Scott
What can I do to really improve my rankings? What should I focus on?

Mason said:
@Scott

Shoot me a message, and I can give you a quick audit and an action plan for free.

Scott said:

Mason said:
@Scott

Shoot me a message, and I can give you a quick audit and an action plan for free.

Just sent you a DM! Thanks so much for helping out.

@Scott
As someone experienced in SEO, do you have any resources or advice for someone new? I’m doing websites for local businesses on the side and want to add SEO services. A chat or tips would be super helpful!

@mila
Sure thing! Message me, and I’ll give you some helpful tips for your business.