How do I stop dead links from messing with my SEO?

I keep hearing that dead links can hurt my SEO ranking. How can I catch them before they cause real trouble?

You can disavow them in Google Search Console.

PixelPenPalPat said:
You can disavow them in Google Search Console.

Thanks! I’ll check out the disavow option in Google Search Console. Do you think I should disavow every dead link or just the ones that seem like bigger problems?

Yeah, dead links are a hassle for SEO. I’d suggest using Google Search Console to find them. Also, there are tools that can scan your site regularly to catch broken links before they mess with your ranking. Keep an eye on your backlinks too—sometimes they go bad and you need to fix or remove them.

Are you talking about broken links on your site or 404 errors from other sites?

Wait, are we talking about someone linking to a page on your site that doesn’t exist anymore? If so, you should do a redirect instead of disavowing—it could still be a good link.

GSC is good, and if you’re on Wordpress, there are a lot of plugins that can help you spot 404 errors.

Dead links… kinda like that one friend who never shows up! They can definitely hurt your SEO if you’re not careful.

First off, do regular audits. Tools like Screaming Frog or Ahrefs are great for finding broken links on your site. Once you spot them, either fix or get rid of them—kinda like cleaning up a mess.

Don’t forget to check external links, too. If a site you linked to disappears, update or change the link. It’s like when a friend ghosts you—you gotta deal with it!

A tool called Linksguardian could be a lifesaver for keeping an eye on your links. It’ll alert you when a link dies, so you can fix it before it hurts your rankings. Stay ahead of it, and those dead links won’t drag you down.

@Eva
Good advice, thanks!

@Eva
Haha, I like that analogy! Thanks for the tips. Regular audits sound super important, and I’ll definitely check out Screaming Frog and Ahrefs.

Also, thanks for the reminder about external links! And yeah, Linksguardian sounds perfect—I’ll try it out. Appreciate the advice, happy linking!