How do you really learn SEO while working with an agency?

Hey everyone,

We just hired an agency to handle our SEO, and since I’m the only digital marketer in our company, I’ll be working directly with them. I want to learn SEO from them while they’re managing things. Any tips on how to make the most out of this experience?

Try to have regular meetings, maybe every two weeks or monthly, and ask questions whenever you can. Find out why they’re doing specific tasks, how those tasks benefit your business, and how they’ll show up in the reports. If your agency is solid, you’ll pick up a lot.

@Harper
Good idea, thanks!

The easiest way is to keep asking ‘Why?’ They’ll likely give you a list of things they’re working on: technical SEO, on-page optimization, backlinks, etc. For each item, ask why they’re doing it and what it will do for your business. That way, they have to explain, and you’ll learn as you go.

Whenever they suggest a task, ask them how it contributes to your main business goal. Especially if you’re a local business or service, you may not need a ton of blog posts that no one reads. Focus on what works for your business type.

Alongside what you’re learning, watch some YouTube tutorials. There’s tons of useful info out there. Also, platforms like Semrush offer free courses. The more you know, the less chance the agency can pull a fast one on you!

Not to burst your bubble, but just spending a few hours here and there won’t make you an SEO expert. It’s a full-time job. I do it myself, and it’s like any other 9-5 corporate job. Most agencies outsource work and pocket the difference. Google’s algorithms are tough for a reason.

@J.cole3
Agreed. As a business owner, just stay on top of the main KPIs and ask questions during quarterly meetings. Let them do the heavy lifting, but make sure you understand the basics. We give clients a simple infographic showing KPIs and what to watch for, and we’re always available for extra meetings if needed.

Don’t be afraid to make noise! Agencies handle multiple clients at a time, and it’s easy for them to get distracted. Be patient for results but firm about transparency and execution upfront.

NicheNomad3 said:
Don’t be afraid to make noise! Agencies handle multiple clients at a time, and it’s easy for them to get distracted. Be patient for results but firm about transparency and execution upfront.

Agreed, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Ask them to explain why they chose specific keywords or strategies. Knowing the reasoning is key. Check in with them regularly, and never hesitate to ask questions—there are no dumb SEO questions! Try to get hands-on with the tools they’re using when you can.

Check out Learningseo.io, it’s a great resource for breaking down the details. It also helps you learn the lingo so you don’t get lost in agency jargon.

Stay on top of their reports and ask for clarification on anything you don’t understand. Schedule regular meetings and use them to learn by seeing how they handle challenges. Don’t be afraid to explore the tools they use yourself. Keep up with SEO trends to stay in the loop.

“Can you guys send me a quick summary of what you just explained? I need to present this to our VP.”

Listen carefully and take notes, then always ask for a follow-up document so you can stay informed.

Do your own research, or the agency might take advantage of your lack of knowledge.

I’d recommend starting with Grumpy SEO Guy’s podcast, episode 21. You’ll learn more in 30 minutes than what an agency will tell you in a year. SEO is a big field, not something you just dabble in.

Just focus on tracking the right metrics.

I started by watching Nathan Gotch’s beginner SEO course on YouTube (SEMrush channel). Even 18 months later, I still find his advice really valuable compared to mainstream YouTubers. Check it out—you’ll avoid getting scammed.

They should be pretty transparent about what they’re doing. Review their strategies around technical SEO, link building, and content. If they say certain tactics are ‘secret’ or ‘proprietary,’ that’s a red flag. It’s in their best interest for you to understand their work.

In my 20+ years of doing this, I’ve never seen a report that didn’t make the agency look good. Numbers don’t lie, but you can spin them any way you want.

Learn which KPIs matter for your business and focus on results. Agencies often focus on making clients happy instead of driving performance. Start focusing on performance, and you’ll see the real picture quickly.