Thinking about using WordPress or Shopify for my online store… any advice?

Before I get into it, I study web design at university, so I might be leaning one way because of that, but it might not be the best choice here.

Me and a friend want to restart a clothing store we had to pause due to school and other stuff. The original site was made on PrestaShop, but it’s outdated and not great. Since I study web design, I figured I should rebuild the website. The problem is, we have a deadline at the end of October to get it running and start selling. So I’ve got about a week to put it together.

I’ve only made one site on WordPress before using WooCommerce and a basic template. I don’t know much beyond that, and I’m still learning HTML (so no fancy coding here). I’m leaning toward WordPress because it might help me learn more, but can I realistically finish it in a week? Or am I setting myself up for a lot of headaches?

I’ve heard that builders like Divi, Elementor, or Bricks could make things easier. But is that going to take too much time to figure out?

Or would Shopify be a better, quicker option to get the store up and running?

Also, in my country, most people pay cash on delivery rather than with a card. We have two major couriers (Speedy and Econt) who deliver nationwide and have local offices. We’ll need to set up COD and maybe some integration for those couriers.

Appreciate any advice you can give!

I’d go with WooCommerce. First off, it’s free and doesn’t require coding knowledge. The success of any e-commerce site really depends on how well you market it, so even if it doesn’t take off, you’re not losing much by using WordPress. Since you’ve already made a site with WordPress, setting up an e-commerce one will be easier. Just follow the settings for the WooCommerce plugin.

For payments, most gateways have their own plugins, and cash on delivery (COD) is usually an option. It’s a bit of a hassle to set up, but once it’s done, you’ll be saving monthly costs compared to Shopify. Also, for marketing on platforms like Google Ads, WordPress makes it easier to create landing pages and track conversions. You can track things like how many people added items to their cart, where they left your site, and so on. This tracking can be set up much more easily on WordPress compared to Shopify.

Shopify has its own set of limitations just like WordPress, especially when it comes to specific shipping needs. You could end up needing just as many add-ons to get things working the way you want, or you might find yourself having to upgrade your Shopify account for some features.

Personally, I like to fix problems myself rather than waiting for a day for support to respond. Just make sure you know what features you need and compare what Shopify can offer with what WooCommerce can do.

You could try WordPress with SureCart (https://surecart.com/; SureCart – Ecommerce Made Easy For Selling Physical Products, Digital Downloads, Subscriptions, Donations, & Payments – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org). It’s got all the perks of WordPress, but the e-commerce part is handled by a dedicated service.

beckhamlamar said:
You could try WordPress with SureCart (https://surecart.com/; SureCart – Ecommerce Made Easy For Selling Physical Products, Digital Downloads, Subscriptions, Donations, & Payments – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org). It’s got all the perks of WordPress, but the e-commerce part is handled by a dedicated service.

I was going to suggest this too. I’m looking into it for a small B2B site. Seems like a nice lightweight alternative to WooCommerce. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I honestly can’t believe anyone would recommend Shopify over WordPress. Do people even know how much more expensive Shopify is, especially for someone just starting out?

With Shopify, not only do you have to deal with payment processing fees, but Shopify also takes a cut from every sale you make. And if you need plugins, they charge you monthly for something that might cost you a yearly fee on WordPress.

Also, keep in mind that over 97% of Shopify stores don’t make it past the 3-year mark. Do you really want to take that risk?

@CommentCrafter
I’ve recommended WordPress for years, and I’ve had a lot of clients who used WooCommerce successfully. But lately, Automattic (the company behind WordPress) has been raising prices on some key plugins. I’ve lost clients to Shopify because of it, and they’ve actually been happy with the switch.

Shopify has a system that helps businesses grow, plus it gives customers more confidence in the site. Even though I love WordPress, I can’t always recommend it for e-commerce stores anymore, and that makes me sad. It used to be a no-brainer, but things are changing.

I’ve had stores running smoothly on WordPress for 10-15 years, so I definitely know my way around the platform. But it’s getting harder for small businesses to justify staying on WordPress when Shopify is an easier, more reliable option for some people.

@J.cole4
I was in the same boat. When I built my e-commerce store, I went with WooCommerce because it’s open source, and I didn’t want my business to be at the mercy of one company like Shopify.

But with the way things are now, Shopify seems more stable than all the drama going on with WordPress lately.

I’d say Shopify, unfortunately.

If you’re familiar with WP Engine, then go with Shopify.

If you have the patience to learn, then WordPress is the way to go.

WordPress with WooCommerce gives you more customization, flexibility, and control over SEO, plus it’s more cost-effective in the long run if you don’t mind handling your own hosting and site setup. On the other hand, Shopify is easier for beginners who want a quick, hassle-free setup, but it comes with higher costs and fewer customization options.

If your store needs full control over design, functionality, and SEO, go with WordPress. If you just want something simple and fast to get started, Shopify might be better for you.

If you know how to work with HTML, CSS, and PHP, go with WordPress.

If not, Shopify might be easier.

I would’ve said WordPress a few months ago because of its flexibility. But now, WordPress has some really weird stuff going on, like lawsuits popping up on the login page.

Just last week, a WordPress employee was being super rude to people in this forum who disagreed with them.

WordPress feels like a mess these days. I’d stay away.

WordPress used to be the go-to for me, but things have changed. I’m leaning towards Shopify now.