What is the Right Time to Start Targeting High-Volume Keywords?

I’ve been focusing on creating content using long-tail keywords, and I’ve been seeing some pretty good results so far. I’ve got a list of high-volume keywords that I’m considering, but I’m not sure if I should jump in and create content for them now or stick with long-tail keywords and optimize my existing content to rank for those high-volume ones.

What do you all think? When is the right time to start targeting high-volume keywords? Should I keep building on my long-tail strategy for a while longer, or is it time to switch gears? I’d love to hear your thoughts and any advice based on your experiences! Thanks :wink:

I read somewhere that you should target keywords based on your daily traffic.

So, if you’re getting around 500 visitors a day, you should go for keywords that get about 500 searches a month. And no, that’s not a typo!

It’s kind of like a game—you can’t beat a level 10 boss with a level 1 character.

If your site isn’t getting enough traffic yet, you’re basically competing with the big players by going after those high-volume keywords.

When you focus on easier keywords, you’ll rank faster, kind of like when you’re smurfing in ranked games.

Then, when your daily traffic hits 1k, target keywords with 1k searches a month. When your daily traffic is 2k, go for 2k keywords, and so on.

1 Like

It was never really about the volume; it’s always been about the competition. Yeah, higher volumes usually mean more competition, but that’s not always the case.

So, the key is to start targeting those high-volume keywords when you feel like you can outrank the sites already ranking for that query.

One of my favorite strategies was checking out what sites I could rank higher than for similar articles and then going after all the keywords that were bringing in the most traffic for them.

Thanks a lot! …I’ll stick with easy keywords for now.

Is there a way you can narrow down your high-volume keyword to something more specific? Like, instead of just “cozy games,” maybe go for “cozy games like Stardew Valley” or something?

You can add words like colors, sizes, and stuff to make your keyword more specific. Also, you can use keyword research tools to find questions related to your keywords and phrases (like long-tail keywords).