Where do I start if I want to develop an app?

I’m not a developer, but I’m part of a growing community that uses apps that are just okay… but not great for our needs. I’ve got ideas for an app that could really make a difference, but I don’t know where to begin with the actual development.

Who should I talk to? Should I find a freelance developer or a company? I’ve got ideas, some good contacts, and the money. Where do I go from here?

Just a quick reminder that this forum is for questions and answers about starting and running a business. You ask your question, and the community helps out. Posts breaking the rules will be removed, and a ban might happen if needed. This message doesn’t mean your post is gone, just a heads-up.

I’m an automated bot! Message the mods if you have any questions.

Be careful when picking app developers because there are a lot of bad ones that will take your money and deliver poor quality, especially if you’re new to this.

Apps nowadays usually have several parts — a backend that stores and manages data, plus the app itself (and sometimes a web version too). Some developers aren’t great at managing both. You can sometimes combine the app and web version using a web view setup (like what Facebook does now).

Do you know exactly what your app needs to do, store, and how it interacts with your data? Have you thought about security?

You could try making a simple version of your app with low-code or no-code platforms.

Feel free to send me a message with your ideas, and I’ll try to point you in the right direction. I may not be the right fit for building it, but I can help you get started.

I’m a freelance developer and would love to work with you on some of these ideas! Let me know if you’re interested.

You really need to find a developer you can trust, whether to hire them or pay them to build it. I wouldn’t go with a development agency unless you already have experience handling tech projects, especially outsourced work. That’s an easy way to lose money quickly.

If you’re looking for developers, let me know. I know quite a few that I can connect you with.

The first step would be hiring someone to consult with you on your idea. Have a solid idea of what you want, and let an expert guide you on the best way to bring it to life.