Why did my site disappear from Google? Help!

About a year ago, I launched a new site using content from an older site, but I refreshed it to fit the new platform.

I also recently began working again on my older site.

Both sites vanished from the search results at different times, meaning not even showing past rank 150. They only show up for branded keywords.

The first site disappeared 2 weeks after launch, and the older one vanished after I changed its template, just 2 days later.

What’s going on here? If it’s the sandbox effect, why did it happen to my old site too? It wasn’t doing great, but it was still visible.

Any thoughts?

Could it be duplicate content on both websites using the same IP?

Joy said:

I have two sites with the same content, targeting different regions. Will this cause issues?

Brooklyn said:

Joy said:

I have two sites with the same content, targeting different regions. Will this cause issues?

Yeah, that could be the problem. If they’re on the same IP, it’s almost certain.

@Joy
Uh-oh, what should I do then?

Brooklyn said:
@Joy
Uh-oh, what should I do then?

Maybe you could try using hreflang tags or subdirectories like /en/ for different regions?

Or you could keep the content specific to one region on site1 only.

Joy said:

Thanks for the help!

But these two sites have different content, and they disappeared at different times.

Any ideas on what I can do to check for duplication? I tried using online tools for content similarity, but nothing popped up.

What’s your goal with these sites?

Joy said:
What’s your goal with these sites?

I want to figure out what went wrong.

And ideally, I’d like to launch a new site without this happening again.

I’m already making the content very user-friendly, but it doesn’t seem to help.