Why is everyone asking about backlinks here?

Lately, it seems like people are constantly asking about backlinks on this forum. I’ve responded a few times, but I thought maybe I could just create a post to help out a bit.

First tip: Check out who’s linking to your competitors. This way, you’ll likely find some sites where you can submit guest posts and add a backlink or two.

But don’t stop there.

When you find a good blog, don’t just submit a piece of content with a backlink. The key is to make the content look natural. Most people make the mistake of linking only to their own website, but good content has outgoing links to other relevant sources. Google is smart enough to spot when something looks spammy, so make sure you include other links too. This will actually improve the quality of the backlink.

So, how to find places to get links:

• Use tools like Ahrefs, Semrush, or Rankfast to see who’s linking to your competitors. Those are your target sites.
  • Filter for “Dofollow” links.
  • Choose “Article” or “In content” for link types.
  • Now you have a good list of backlinks to aim for.

Remember, this isn’t the only way to get backlinks.

There are also platforms where you can submit your site for free and get some decent backlinks:

• indiepage
  • Uneed
  • ProductHunt
  • 1000 tools
  • BetaList

Lastly, some people buy backlinks.

Be cautious with backlink sellers. It’s a business full of low-quality links. Make sure the links have a good Domain Score (DA/DR), but also check the site’s traffic. Links from high-DA sites with no traffic are overpriced and practically worthless. Focus on quality traffic too.

Can I just keep updating my website and get backlinks naturally as it grows? I suck at off-page SEO and am still working on fixing a bunch of stuff on my site.

JamesHenry said:
Can I just keep updating my website and get backlinks naturally as it grows? I suck at off-page SEO and am still working on fixing a bunch of stuff on my site.

Not really. Your content needs to be something people actually want to link to. For example, who’s going to link to a random review about some niche product unless it has really useful info, like stats or case studies? You need to give people a reason to link to you, and your content should already be ranking well if you want organic backlinks.

If you struggle with off-page SEO, it might be worth hiring someone who specializes in it. But avoid the cheap options. A good off-page strategy will cost at least $2k a month. Also, look into digital PR—it’s more effective than just buying backlinks.

@Joan
This is solid advice.

@Joan
Do tools and calculators get linked to often? Maybe it’s better for me to focus on creating content like stats rather than spending time on off-page SEO. My site has some traffic, but is being on page one of Bing enough for organic backlinks?

Also, I’m not hiring anyone. I’m just practicing building a website and haven’t even tried to monetize it yet.

Are sites like ProductHunt and BetaList good for local services? I run a small cleaning business in my city, and I’m wondering if it’s worth trying to get backlinks from them.

Appreciate you not revealing my sources for backlinks :smile:

ContentCraftsman1 said:
Appreciate you not revealing my sources for backlinks :smile:

Haha, you got away with it :crazy_face:

Can you hook me up with a backlink from your site?

You really have to check the link profile of any site you’re getting links from, especially if you’re buying them. Use Ahrefs. If not, you’re going to end up paying for a useless link.

Scarlet said:
You really have to check the link profile of any site you’re getting links from, especially if you’re buying them. Use Ahrefs. If not, you’re going to end up paying for a useless link.

Agreed. You can use Ahrefs, Semrush, or Rankfast, and they all give you good data.

@ThreadTactician
Yeah, but Ahrefs is still the best.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

It sucks that buying backlinks still works so well :cry:

Remind me to come back here in 1 day.

In my opinion, it’s best to focus on building links on blogs that already have organic traffic, and the content should be relevant to your site. That’s how you get the best links.

I’m not a fan of the list of ‘target’ sites you mentioned. There are tons of free backlinks out there, and that list seems focused on paid options.

Dan said:
I’m not a fan of the list of ‘target’ sites you mentioned. There are tons of free backlinks out there, and that list seems focused on paid options.

Good point. Are there any free backlink sources you can recommend? I’d love to update the list to give people more options.

What’s your take on Digital PR?

ray4real said:
[deleted]

[deleted]