How hard is it to make serious money as a blogger?

I’m wondering how tough it really is to make money blogging? I’ve seen so many success stories, but I can’t tell if it’s realistic for most people or just a few lucky ones. I’d love to hear from people who have tried and succeeded, or maybe even failed. How long did it take you to start seeing any income?

It’s… complicated.

If you were selling something like $50 items and needed to sell 20 of them to make $1000, it might be easier if you focus your content around those items. But if you’re like a lot of people doing ads and Amazon affiliate links, getting $1000 in a month might mean around 40,000 sessions. That’s possible, but not everyone sticks around long enough to reach that. You could be looking at writing hundreds of posts to get there.

And don’t let anyone tell you luck isn’t involved. Hard work helps, but you’re still at the mercy of Google. They’ve tanked sites for no reason or taken forever to notice when a site’s good.

So, to sum up… luck is part of the game, even if you work hard.

@SophyGenesis
What do you think is the fastest way to make money with a blog?

TechTitan said:
@SophyGenesis
What do you think is the fastest way to make money with a blog?

Selling high-ticket items. You don’t need much traffic and can focus on a smaller audience.

@SophyGenesis
Totally agree. I’m tired of hearing bloggers say not to bother with social media because algorithms limit your reach. Google is just as bad.

At least with social media, you can directly engage with people in the comments and build up some real connections. If Google pushes your site down in search rankings, you’re stuck waiting for them to change their mind. With social, you have a bit more control over your visibility.

@martin
Hello! You made the mistake of writing ‘ect’ instead of ‘etc.’ Just a heads-up!

Amanda said:
@martin
Hello! You made the mistake of writing ‘ect’ instead of ‘etc.’ Just a heads-up!

Good bot.

@martin
I don’t think Google shuts down sites for no reason. It’s usually due to things like bad privacy policies, plagiarism, or copyright issues.

MonicaSaidIt said:
@martin
I don’t think Google shuts down sites for no reason. It’s usually due to things like bad privacy policies, plagiarism, or copyright issues.

Social media doesn’t ban pages for no reason either. People just think they didn’t do anything wrong, same with websites. When people ask, ‘Why won’t Google index my site?’ the answer is usually that they didn’t follow Google’s actual best practices, just what they thought were best practices.

Making money as a blogger can be tough for a lot of people.

If you’re just starting out, here’s a quick step-by-step you can follow:

1. Sign up as an affiliate with your hosting company and promote them on your site.
  2. Create a home page, About page, and a Contact page.
  3. Add basic legal pages to your blog.
  4. Set up your social media profiles.
  5. Set up an email list and create a landing page.
  6. Write 1-2 articles per week or more if you can.
  7. Interlink your articles for internal SEO and keep readers on your site longer.
  8. Have 5 affiliate products or services ready to promote in your articles.
  9. Don’t promote your blog until you have at least 50 posts.
  10. Once you have enough content, start promoting through social media and forums.
  11. Use Pinterest to help drive traffic to your blog.

It might take a month or longer to start seeing traffic, but consistency is key. Build your email list and focus on that because those subscribers will help you with future promotions.

@winsteizsty
Can I DM you for some basic questions about what you said?

Brad said:
@winsteizsty

Absolutely. I’m happy to help.

winsteizsty said:

Brad said:
@winsteizsty

Absolutely. I’m happy to help.

Hey, how else can you make money from a blog besides ads and affiliate links? Every YouTube video I watch just tries to sell me a course, not actual info on how to monetize.

@winsteizsty
Thanks for this!

Miltan said:
@winsteizsty
Thanks for this!

You’re welcome! Feel free to reach out if you need more help.

@winsteizsty
You seem super knowledgeable—mind if I DM you too? I’ve got some beginner questions.

SEOStrategist4 said:
@winsteizsty
You seem super knowledgeable—mind if I DM you too? I’ve got some beginner questions.

Of course, go ahead.

winsteizsty said:

SEOStrategist4 said:
@winsteizsty

Of course, go ahead.

Do you charge for your help?

I’ve been blogging for about 6 months and have gotten lucky with a few posts. I have around 60 posts now and get close to 4,000 visits a month. I haven’t made any money yet, but seeing traffic rise month by month keeps me motivated. I feel like I’ll get there eventually.

@Williamson
How’s it going now?