How to start a blog that makes money?

Hey everyone,

There’s been a lot of discussion on this forum, and I’ve noticed a mix of hobby bloggers and folks wanting to turn their blogs into a real business that makes money.

If you’re blogging for fun, that’s awesome! But for those looking to treat it as a business and earn from it, there’s a lot more to consider if you want it to be profitable.

I’ve been blogging since 2018 and made over $150,000 in the last year, so I’ll be sharing my personal experience. I hope this helps answer some common questions.

Feel free to chime in with any advice or questions. I’m sure I didn’t cover everything!

##Step 1: Get started, choose a niche, and research

Before jumping in and creating your blog, do some research. However, don’t get stuck here forever! Some people keep learning and planning but never start. Spend one weekend learning and planning, and then move on.

SEO:

Learn some basic search engine optimization (SEO) strategies. This will help you when you start producing content. Check out resources like this forum for help with SEO questions.

Niche selection:

Pick a topic to blog about. Finding the right niche can be hard since there are endless things to write about, but focus on something that has low competition but is still popular. Use keyword research tools like Ahrefs or SERanking to find good opportunities.

Choose a niche that’s not a passing trend. For example, saunas are gaining popularity and have been around for years, but something like fidget spinners was a fad that died quickly. Look for something with staying power.

It helps if your niche is something you’re already familiar with. This gives you an edge when creating content, and it can make you more credible in Google’s eyes.

Don’t worry too much about how you’ll make money at first—just focus on driving traffic. If you get traffic, the money will come.

Check out forums like this one to get feedback and ideas.

Know your audience:

After picking your niche, research your audience. Find out their age, their problems, what they use, and where they hang out online. Are they on Facebook? YouTube? Pinterest? Figure out where they are and pick one social platform to focus on. Don’t try to do everything at once. It’ll spread you too thin.

Topical mapping and keyword research:

Use keyword research tools to find low-competition keywords related to your niche. There are plenty of resources and YouTube videos to help with this.

Create a topical map for your website. This will help you plan out content clusters around certain topics.

##Step 2: Set up your website

Setting up your website can feel overwhelming, but it’s doable. Here’s a quick guide.

Use WordPress.org (self-hosted) for your blog. You’ll need a domain name and hosting provider.

For your domain, use a service like Namecheap or GoDaddy. Choose a domain name that’s memorable and relevant, but not too restrictive so you can expand your blog’s focus in the future.

Avoid hosting companies owned by EIG (like Bluehost) because they’re overpriced and slow. Instead, look into hosting services like:

• Cloudways
  • WP Engine
  • Flywheel
  • SiteGround
  • Kinsta

Pick a fast, well-supported theme for WordPress. I recommend Kadence because it’s easy to use and comes with starter templates.

Install some basic plugins:

• WP SMTP Mail (for contact forms)
  • Kadence Blocks (if using Kadence theme)
  • Yoast SEO
  • A speed optimization plugin like WP Rocket or Breeze

Set up Google Analytics to track visitors, and Google Search Console to track search performance.

##Step 3: Create content

Once your site is up, your focus should be on creating content. This is where people tend to get distracted or give up, but you need to keep going.

Publish content regularly—at least once a week if you can. Aim for high-quality, well-researched posts based on your personal experience and expertise. Don’t try to hit a word count for the sake of it—focus on covering the topic fully and clearly.

Avoid using AI to write your posts. Use it for brainstorming or outlines if needed, but don’t let it write for you.

Use original images and videos whenever possible. Your content should be valuable enough that readers don’t need to click back to search results to find more information.

Focus on your blog and one social platform where your audience hangs out.

##Step 4: Start monetizing

After a few months of producing content, start thinking about monetization. The most common methods are display ads (Google AdSense, Mediavine, Raptive) and affiliate programs (Amazon Associates).

Adsense is good for beginners, but premium ad networks like Mediavine and Raptive pay better once you reach their traffic requirements.

Amazon Associates is a solid affiliate program, but you can also find niche-specific affiliate programs. Just Google “[Brand/product] affiliate program.”

Creating your own products or services is one of the best ways to make money. You could sell digital products like courses, or physical products related to your niche.

Be sure to diversify your revenue streams. Don’t rely on just one way to make money.

##Step 5: Expand

Once you’ve got a good routine for blogging and your social platform, start expanding. Hire writers if needed and increase content production, but don’t let the quality drop.

Try growing into another social platform. But again, only after you’ve mastered your first one.

Work on branding your site and making it look professional. Add things like a logo, terms and conditions, a privacy policy, and even a physical mailing address.

Look into building backlinks to boost your site’s authority. HARO (Help A Reporter Out) and guest blogging can help with this.

##Common mistakes to avoid:

Here are some common mistakes people make:

• Publishing low-quality content
  • Trying to make money too early
  • Giving up too soon
  • Spending too much time learning and not enough time doing
  • Choosing a niche that’s too broad
  • Using AI to write content
  • Writing about overly competitive topics

Great tips! My blog is about a year old and I’m just starting to qualify for Mediavine.

Here are a couple more suggestions:

-A2 hosting is pretty good. I’ve been using them and they’ve been reliable.

-If your audience is mostly female, check out SheMedia. They usually require 15k-20k sessions, but they’ve been letting people in with fewer. I got in at 3k sessions.

-Backlinks are important. The more backlinks, the better your domain authority (DA).

@Evans
How many articles do you have?

Is it an English-language site?

Do you write articles on just one place, like all about New York?

What backlinks did you build?

jordansmith said:
@Evans
How many articles do you have?

Is it an English-language site?

Do you write articles on just one place, like all about New York?

What backlinks did you build?

I’ve got about 100 articles, and yes, it’s in English. I write about different countries, not just one. I’ve got backlinks from over 100 blogs now.

@Evans
That’s amazing! How did you manage to get so many backlinks?

jordansmith said:
@Evans

I wrote a lot of guest posts and joined collaborations. Still doing it now!

Evans said:

jordansmith said:
@Evans

I wrote a lot of guest posts and joined collaborations. Still doing it now!

What kind of collaborations? Do you have a template for reaching out?

@jordansmith
Depends on what people are looking for. There are Facebook groups for guest posts and collaborations. That’s where I find most of my backlink opportunities.

Evans said:
@jordansmith
Depends on what people are looking for. There are Facebook groups for guest posts and collaborations. That’s where I find most of my backlink opportunities.

Thanks! Did you have to pay for any backlinks?

@Evans
Is it profitable?

@Evans
Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for putting all of this together! I just hit my first month of blogging and this is incredibly helpful.

MysteryMaverick said:
Thank you for putting all of this together! I just hit my first month of blogging and this is incredibly helpful.

You’re welcome! Keep going, you’ve got this!

Honestly, reading this post feels like I’ve just gone through 100 different blogs on this topic. It’s incredibly thorough! Thanks for sharing.

GhostaGhost said:
Honestly, reading this post feels like I’ve just gone through 100 different blogs on this topic. It’s incredibly thorough! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I’ll be posting more in the future with even more details. This post was just an overview.

Wow, what a comprehensive guide! I’ve been blogging for a while, but your tips have helped fill in some gaps for me. Thanks for putting this together!

chatitout said:
Wow, what a comprehensive guide! I’ve been blogging for a while, but your tips have helped fill in some gaps for me. Thanks for putting this together!

Glad you found it helpful!

Just a reminder: avoid Bluehost!!

Jane said:
Just a reminder: avoid Bluehost!!

Agreed! Thank you!

Not only was your post helpful, but it was also refreshing and motivating. Thanks for putting in the time to help us out!